Ferrydens busy harbour has grown over the past 900 years. Ferryden having at different times been an important centre for various types of fishing, from salmon to whales and herring. It has also been an important timber port, and for many centuries was one of Scotland's largest exporters of wool. Today it benefits from the off-shore oil industry.
Ferryden was once the centre of a thriving smuggling trade. It was comparatively remote and had plenty of trade connections with Europe. To the north was eight miles of rocky coast and to the south the shore between Scurdie Ness and Boddin Point was rich with caves.
Wide sandy bays such as Lunan Bay and the five mile stretch of beach from Montrose to St Cyrus meant the area was a smugglers paradise.
Scurdie lighthouse is listed as a building of Architectural/Historic interest.In 1867 the sea-faring community of Ferryden made representations to the Commissioners of Northern Lighthouses to have a light established on Montrose Point at the rock-bound shore stretching between the Bell Rock and Girdle Ness which had been the scene of numerous shipwrecks and great loss of life.
The tower was lit for the first time on Tuesday 1 March 1870 at 1800 hours amidst cheers from the multitude gathered on the links and the sands. The light is to 182,000 candlepower (which is roughly equal to 182 hundred watt bulbs) and on a clear night can be seen for approximately 23 miles.
Visitors who climb the 170 steps to the top of the tower are rewarded with a wonderful view, for on a clear day you can see as far as Berwick.
At some of the isolated stations the war added immensely to the lightkeepers work. At Scurdie Ness, one lightkeeper had to paint the whole tower black so that it would not also provide a day mark for the enemy.
Enjoy a bicycle ride to or walk around Scurdie Ness. Scurdie Ness is a distinctive light house that marks the headland of this rocky stretch of coastland approaching Montrose.
:: Facts ::
Converted to Automation
David & Thomas Stevenson
Latitude 56° 42.1’N / Longitude 02° 26.1’W